Monday, April 11, 2005

The Master Butchers Singing Club

First, I have a problem with this title. I think that it is punctuated wrong. Shouldn't it be The Master Butcher's Singing Club? Or, if there is more than one butcher, it should be the The Master Butchers' Singing Club. But I just can't think of any circumstances under which it would be written "The Master Butchers Singing Club." And yet there it is on the front of the book and the top of every page.

I did manage to get beyond the title (isn't there some saying about judging a book by its cover?). I actually really liked the book, although there were some parts that were a little weird for me.

This book is also by Louise Erdrich. I didn't intentionally read two of her books in a row, I just happened to pick this up in the bookstore when I was looking for something to read on my vacation in Brazil. Actually, I picked up the paperback and then found the hardcover for a third of the price. Not that that matters.

The main character in this story is a woman who doesn't know who her mother is, and ends up mothering everyone else. It's a different type of story for Louise Erdrich, although I learned that it's based on the other side of her family. I guess that's where most stories come from . . . from somebody's life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com