Monday, October 27, 2008

A little tense.

I don't mean tense like "stressed out" (I live at a spa, remember?). I mean tense, like verb tense in grammar. You remember: present, past, future, future perfect, past perfect, present perfect progressive...

Yeah, that.

I am writing. I started a story five years ago, and after six months of furious progress, I made the mistake of rereading what I had written. I know this is necessary in the writing process, but it was a mistake because even though while I was writing, I knew it wasn't perfect, I wasn't quite prepared to confront my less than perfect prose. I decided that the whole thing was crap and stopped working on it. Apparently I'm ready now, because I've dusted off the story and instead of being bothered by the roughness of the draft, I am enjoying the process of revising and improving. I'm writing again.

But I am having that little problem with tense. I'm not sure what tense to write in, and when I pick one, I find that within two or three paragraphs, I've shifted to something else. I'm trying not to worry about it, but I feel like I need to get it set so that I am thinking in the right tense while I'm working on this draft.

Is it supposed to be this complicated?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com