Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oh, Solo Vino

There are a lot of dogs at the spa. Some are permanent residents (Preciosa and Lucy), some have owners, (Panchito, Max, and of course Biscuit), and occasionally there are other dogs who pass through (Percy, Falcor, and many others who've been adopted by guests and taken to the States).

A new dog showed up in September sometime, and he's trying to make himself a permanent resident of the spa. He's white with black ears and spots, and bigger than most of the dogs here--he's probably 75 pounds and pretty tall. He's sweet, gentle, and ultimately VERY lazy. He goes on the hikes with guests in the morning, and the rest of the day you can find him sleeping. Sleeping on the lawn, sleeping on the patio, and mostly sleeping on the lounge chairs at the pool.

When he first showed up, someone told me he was Fernando's dog, so when I saw Fernando with the dog I said "¿Como se llama su perro?" I don't speak much Spanish, but I can manage that, at least.

Fernando replied "Solo Vino." So the dog's name is Solo Vino.

Except...it's not. Because "Solo vieno" basically means "He came by himself." So when I said "What's your dog's name?" Fernando said "He came by himself." As in, he's not mine.

It took me about three months to figure this out.

I think Fernando calls him Kujo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com