Thursday, July 16, 2009

Firefox add-ons that will probably not change your life.

Seems like there are a billion lists of "Firefox add-ons that will CHANGE your Life." I doubt my list will change anyone's life, but here are the add-ons that I have installed in Firefox--I use them all regularly, so no fluff here:
  • Ad-block Plus: I just installed it this morning, and it took me a few minutes to realize that the ads were gone and pages really do load faster. I don't know why I didn't install it sooner. (I know, I create digital advertising for a living...what can I say?)
  • Delicious Bookmarks: Love it for bookmarking. I haven't used browser-based favorites for years.
  • Download Statusbar: Replaces the download window, which keeps my desktop tidier. Apparently has other features that I haven't tried out.
  • DownThemAll: Great when I purchase an album from GoMusic--I can start all songs downloading in one click.
  • Drag & Drop.io: I love drop.io and this makes it super easy to add files and manage Drops.
  • FoxTab: My new all-time favorite. It's kind of like Exposé for Firefox tabs.
  • FoxyTunes: Puts iTunes controls in the Firefox status bar. Saves switching to iTunes when Milli Vanilli comes up in shuffle.
  • Google Gears: Installed so I can use offline Gmail and sync my iCal. Had to go without for a few weeks after upgrading to Firefox 3.5, but Google caught up this morning so I'm back online...er offline, that is.
  • GreaseMonkey: Necessary for Facebook Purity, which blocks quiz and application messages from my Facebook feed. Sorry, but I don't actually care what type of pickle represents your favorite 80's movie.
  • Read It Later: Kind of a holding area for links that I don't want to deal with now, but don't necessarily want to bookmark and tag in Delicious.
  • ScreenGrab: It's like having Snaggit integrated in my browser. Especially great since I can't remember the keystrokes to take a screen grab on a Mac.
It's amazing how useful some of these add-ons are. A big thank you to all the developers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com