Saturday, February 5, 2005

The Poisonwood Bible

This book by Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorites of all time.

I first read it in 1998 after I heard the author read from it at the 92nd Street Y in New York City. One of the amazing things about the book is that she writes from the point of view of five distinct characters, the wife and daughters of a Baptist missionary preacher. For me, everything about the book is amazing. I love the story. I love the way the story is told. And I always find myself moved to tears by the last section of the book--I've read it three or four times now.

I recently listened to this book on my iPod, and listening was a very different experience than reading. I was forced to listen to the backwards pronounciation of Adah's palindromes . . . when reading, I would always cheat and read them the right way around. Listening is definitely a different kind of experience than reading. I think I prefer reading a book, feeling the paper, seeing the words. Listening seems easier to tune out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by suckmylolly.com